Environmental Permits


Environmental Permits regulate activities on the Reservation to protect air and water quality, fish and wildlife habitat and the health and welfare of Tribal Citizens and Reservation residents. DEP administers and/or issues the following Tribal Environmental Permits:

Burn Permit Application: Burn Permits protect air quality and reduce wildfire danger. They are required for any open fires four feet or more in diameter and are further restricted during burn bans.

  • Burn Bans may be declared during periods of impaired air quality, such as inversions, or during conditions of high fire danger.  During a regular burn ban the only open fires allowed are for cooking or recreation within a fire ring less than three feet in diameter.  During a declaration of severe conditions for air quality or fire danger all open fires, including cooking and recreational fires, and wood stove use except in homes where they are the primary heating source, may be restricted.

Land Clearing Permit Application: Land Clearing permits are required for clearing vegetation or timber harvest activities covering an acre or more.

On-Site Septic Permit: On-site Septic permits provide review of the location, soils and design of these systems and are require prior to installation of new septic systems.  The reviews are done in conjunction with the Tribal Health Inspector.

Shorelines & Sensitive Areas Permit Application: Shoreline and Sensitive Areas (SSA) permits regulate activities within 200 ft of the shoreline as well as within designated sensitive areas and their buffers. Such sensitive areas include wetlands, streams, eagle nests and certain areas critical for fish or wildlife habitat. Activities requiring permits include tree removal, building or modifying structures and most development or surface modification.

TEPA Environmental Checklist: Tribal Environmental Protection Act (TEPA) Checklist.  This form, which must be completed for any project with potential impacts to the environment, provides information for environmental review and allows determination if impacts are significant and require additional environmental impact studies.

CWA 401 Water Quality Certification: Water quality certifications are required for work in or over the Swinomish Regulated Surface Waters to ensure effects to the waters do not harm the environment or fish and wildlife and are required in conjunction with U.S. Army Corp of Engineers or other Federal permits.



Environmental Permits


Phone (360) 466.7280
Fax (360) 466.1615


11430 Moorage Way
La Conner, WA 98257


Mon-Wed | 8-6 PM
Thurs | 8-5:30 PM