Department of Environmental Protection
Mission Statement: To protect and restore the natural environment, and the health and welfare of the Swinomish Indian Tribal Community for present and future generations.
The Swinomish Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) was established in 2013 to continue to fulfull the environmental functions of tjhe Tribe including the Water Resources Program and the Environmental Compliance & Management Team. The DEP works closely with and shares office space with the Planning Department and Land Management Department.
The Department of Environmental Protection functions include:
- Environmental research and monitoring:
- water quality monitoring of surface, and groundwaters;
- beach, nearshore, and tidelands monitoring;
- salmon habitat monitoring and restoration, including research and restoration at Kukutali Preserve;
- environmental education: Sharing our Knowledge Book Series; and, Swinomish Marine Interpretive Center at Lone Tree Point;
- environmental human health research.
- Environmental policy and ordinance development:
- Development of water and environmental protection ordinances;
- Updates of ordinances to address climate change; and,
- Interdisciplinary climate change research and adaption planning (Swinomish Tribe and Climate Change).
- Environmental management and permitting:
Funding for environmental research, monitoring, policy, and management projects over the years has come from a variety of sources including U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Administration for Native Americans, U.S. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service, WA Recreation & Conservation Office (Salmon Recovery Funding Board, WWRP, ALEA), Swinomish Tribe, WA Department of Fish and Wildlife, WA Department of Agriculture, and environmental permitting fees.
Staff & Titles:
- Mitchell, Todd: Environmental Director
- Anderson, Kevin, Environmental Management Specialist
- Andrews, Scott: Environmental Compliance Manager / Assistant Director
- Buckham, Shannon: Environmental Research Technician
- Casper, Nicole, Water Resources Analyst
- Gobert, Tanisha: Kukutali Preserve Caretaker
- Ikebe, Lynette: Air Quality Technician
- Kasayuli, Brendon, Water Resources Technician Intern
- Logan, Lindsay Thomason: Environmental Technician
- Mainord, Jacinda: Air Quality Analyst
- Quintasket, Joe: Noxious Weeds/Water Resources Technician
- Thompson, Jason: Water Resources Technician II